Postal Stamps, Labels, Envelopes, Postcards, and whatever else that can give us an excellent opportunity to examine the conflict through contemporary items in the participant's daily lives. I am not a partisan of either side of the conflict, but just a curious neophyte.

Saturday, August 11, 2018

United American Spanish Aid Committee

I have to say that this is organization has been very challenging in finding information on the web. I assume like other organization it was a popular front Communist group with ties to C.P.U.S.A which appealed to non-communist too. As late as 1940 the organization was fighting against the now victorious Franco.
The United American Spanish Aid Committee issued one fund raising stamp in 1937 and this stamp is the final one picked up from the same seller on the Bay. This perf 12, violet blue on beige stamp had a value of 25c, was issued in booklets of panes with 8 stamps. Though a little less polished then the other two stamps it more than makes up in graphics. Which are a couple with a baby and an older adult surrounded by barbed wire. The one I picked up was one from along the bottom of the pane.
The same seller had one more U.S issued label-a block of 4 from the Rescue Spanish Refugees committee. A little too rich for my blood so no win. It was a beauty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Had to be an Easier Way

I have had this cover for some time and I when I picked it up it was because I was intrigued by the ingenuity of the sender's placemen...