Postal Stamps, Labels, Envelopes, Postcards, and whatever else that can give us an excellent opportunity to examine the conflict through contemporary items in the participant's daily lives. I am not a partisan of either side of the conflict, but just a curious neophyte.

Saturday, March 16, 2019

¡Viva la República!

At the end of the Spanish monarchy, or perhaps just a long pause? Supporters of the new republic showed their support when they affixed postage to envelopes. One I will look at today and it is one I haven't run across before, the placing of the recently República Española overprinted Alfonso XIII stamp horizontal so that the overprint is read right side up.
The below cover is postmarked December 23, 1931 from Puerto De La Cruz (Las Palmas)
to Arendel, Norway, with back stamp of  January 2, 1932 for its arrival in Arendel. Franked with
one 40c. (#600) which paid the  Non Postal Union Letter rate .40c. for  up to 20gr.
I tried to find any information on the receiver but  it no luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Had to be an Easier Way

I have had this cover for some time and I when I picked it up it was because I was intrigued by the ingenuity of the sender's placemen...