Postal Stamps, Labels, Envelopes, Postcards, and whatever else that can give us an excellent opportunity to examine the conflict through contemporary items in the participant's daily lives. I am not a partisan of either side of the conflict, but just a curious neophyte.

Saturday, May 19, 2018

The First of the First-About the blog, its purpose, and its parameters

Hello everyone who stumbles across this blog. My name is Bman and I have always had an interest in the Spanish Civil War. I am really not sure why the conflict speaks to me. Perhaps it is the struggle between Left and Right. Perhaps it is the incredible pop culture that surrounds the war from movies, music, postal history, books, etc. Perhaps it is the romanticization of the Left's response to the insurgency of Franco and others. Or, perhaps it is the wide range of actors involved from the left, right, center, and the colonies. Not sure why but here we are.
The goal and the purpose of this blog is for me to have an opportunity to examine the war by examining the postal history that I acquire. At one time I was an avid collector of stamps with a focus on military and occupation issues but those days are long gone. All of which, is packed away at my parents several states away from my currant abode.
The Spanish Civil War began on July 17th, 1936-April 1st, 1939. This is the period we will focus on. The postal history before and after the war is fascinating and worth examining but it isn't our focus.
The collecting parameters are the 2nd Republic founded April 14th, 1931 and ending April  1st, 1939. There isn't plan to pickup every Republican issues-only those issued during the war.

Depending on the source you read Franco and his forces are referred to as insurgents, rebels, fascists, or Nationalists. For the sake of clarity I will refer to the Republicans on the whole as Republican and to the various groups aligned against the Republic as Nationalists. Specific posts will refer to specific groups as necessary-P.O.U.M and Carlists for example.
There are steps that I need to take-one pick up storage items for the stamps and the envelopes "covers" acquired. Purchase the various Edifil Catalogo Especializado de Espana that cover the patriotic overprints, various local issues and patriotic labels as well as the general issues of the Republic and of the Nationalists. These aren't cheap as the several volumes of these are about $100 per and I will perhaps pick up a couple for my birthday.
I am sure apart from the posts on postal history there will be book reviews, oddball SCW items for sale on eBay etc. Also am not a partisan of the conflict there were good people and bad people on both sides and people were compelled to pick sides for various reasons-and those that couldn't perhaps laid low or left the country.


Welcome aboard!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Had to be an Easier Way

I have had this cover for some time and I when I picked it up it was because I was intrigued by the ingenuity of the sender's placemen...