Postal Stamps, Labels, Envelopes, Postcards, and whatever else that can give us an excellent opportunity to examine the conflict through contemporary items in the participant's daily lives. I am not a partisan of either side of the conflict, but just a curious neophyte.

Sunday, June 3, 2018

Dearest Godson

This a Nationalist postcard (EDIFIL #81) sent from Jerez de la Frontera to Teniente Don Jose Sanchez Escobar Unidad de Esquadora  (Scout Unit) Estafata (post office) number 4. It has a blue triangle “CENSURA MILITAR”, “JEREZ DE LA FRONTERA"with the Nationalist arms in the center 

I haven't been able to read the original Estafata but what ever it was it was part of the very experienced 73 Division. I wasn't able to locate too much information on the Esquadora-except that it was a subsection of a regiment. The letter on the reverse is interesting and as one would expect very personal. I do not speak Spanish but can read a few words. So with some detective work and Google Translation I was able to get most of the letter translated. You get the gist of letter.

Don Jose Sanchez Escobar Teniente 
Unidad de Esquadora
Estafeta (Post office) No 41

Por el impururio nació dios!

Jerez 14-9-38 III Ano

Simpático ahijado que este tu vida? No quiero ni pensar que tu tardaniza en es milir sea por quales, ya vir que estacia ya bien del todo. 

Si is que por falta de triunfo mutia esta nada mas pero que yo sensa de ti. Impaciente espero tus noticias y nu alensco es que buena tales no te alvida.

Mercedes

English translation.

God was born through the impurities!

Jerez 14-9-38 year

Nice godson that this your life? I do not even want to think that your tardiness is a matter of why they are, and that it was already well at all.

If it is that for lack of mutual success is nothing more but that I feel of you. Impatient, I wait for your news and in good faith it is that such good does not save you.

Mercedes



No comments:

Post a Comment

Had to be an Easier Way

I have had this cover for some time and I when I picked it up it was because I was intrigued by the ingenuity of the sender's placemen...