Postal Stamps, Labels, Envelopes, Postcards, and whatever else that can give us an excellent opportunity to examine the conflict through contemporary items in the participant's daily lives. I am not a partisan of either side of the conflict, but just a curious neophyte.

Sunday, June 24, 2018

Let Us Play Can You Spot the Difference?


As I sit here while waiting for my Edifil catalogue to arrive I  have been flipping through the SG Portugal & Spain Specialized. In doing so it has really been interesting to take note, literally, of the different perf, color, and printing differences of the various 2nd Republic and Nationalist issues.

One of which is Edifil #834 Holy Year 30 Cent Jacobus of Compostela. There are two versions of the 834s. One has no dots before and after 1937 (1st image) and the second type with a dot after and before the 1937 (2nd image).
Gibbons tells me the second type is more rarer  than the first. I thought I would see if I could find the second version on a cover. Alas, I came across one that isn't in the condition I would normally pick up for the collection and I would not even take a second look at this cover. However, I noticed there was a pair of the 834s. A closer look indicated that the pair is a Type I AND a Type II! I don't really know how special this is, or if it is. Sent on about September 25, 1937 from Bedun, Huescra, Aragon to Paris. Purple stamped "VISADO POR LA CENSUR" and I can't make out the town. Franked with a pair of the 834s, I wish they were right side up-but I will take it, and I will be on the hunt for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Had to be an Easier Way

I have had this cover for some time and I when I picked it up it was because I was intrigued by the ingenuity of the sender's placemen...